12.13.2013

holiday shadow box

I have never looked so many places for one stupid little matchbox car. 
aslfkhaweoifj.
And that is how I feel about that. 

But when I saw this shadow box, I knew this was happening in my house. Stat. 

But SERIOUSLY...no plain ole' trucks could be found- Walmart, Target, toy stores, even a vintage/old-fashioned toy store! Nothing. Also, when it came to looking at toys in the boys aisle (for once), I was like a fish out of water...I didn't know what half of the stuff was. 

But you know what never disappoints? Etsy. You can be having the worst day ever and just LOOKING at things on Etsy will cheer you up. Promise. Thanks to Lizzie Tish Vintage, I FOUND A FRIGGIN' MATCHBOX TRUCK! What's also really cool about it, is that it is a vintage 1978 Lesney series Mercedes matchbox car. I totally would have settled on something from Walmart, but since everything from there had giant mud tires and racing stripes...wah-wah. Seriously if you find some mass-produced in a store...call me...I'm going to hoard them. I could need more of these. But I think the vintage factor adds a lot to the overall finished product. I couldn't be happier. 

(Also, it's apparently really hard to take a picture of glass without getting SOME kind of reflection...I'm gonna go ahead and guessing the first step is using something other than your iPhone...) :-)
It was super easy to make. The hardest part was definitely finding the stinkin' truck. 
Get a shadow box, some fake little pine trees (usually in the dollhouse section of craft stores- these are from Hobby Lobby), and hunt down your matchbox car. Then print something to put in the background or use the one I made, throw in some fake snow and you're good to go. 

I love it so much I want to keep it up all year.
...don't tempt me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love.